How useful is alkaline fasting?
With alkaline fasting – for about one to three weeks – only foods that are considered to be basic are eaten. This is based on the assumption that the excessive consumption of acidic substances – for example animal foods such as meat, sausage and dairy products – contributes to the acidification of the organism.
Symptoms such as tiredness, fatigue or heartburn are said to be the result. Diseases such as osteoarthritis, so it is said by supporters of this fasting method, are also associated with hyperacidity. Base fasting should therefore help to deacidify the body, prevent or alleviate diseases. What is it?
In fact, there are basic and acidic foods, according to the adherents of this nutritional theory. The difference is in how the two are metabolized. If the body gains more acidic than basic components during digestion, the food is considered acidic. Incidentally, that has nothing to do with how sour a food tastes. Citrus fruits are also one of the basic foods.
What is also true is that the body can over-acidify – but actually not through the wrong diet. In addition, the body usually masters this condition itself through breathing and kidney function. If both work, healthy people do not have to fear over-acidification. In addition, a connection between acidosis and the development of diseases has not been scientifically proven. The German Nutrition Society (DGE) even advises against long-term alkaline fasting , as otherwise there could be a risk of nutrient deficiency .
For the treatment of diseases Basenfasten – in contrast to the fasting , the positive effects, at least in some diseases promotes – unsuitable. If you have symptoms , you should consult a doctor and refrain from fasting on your own.
Why can base fasting recipes still be healthy?
Nevertheless, there are advantages to using a recipe from alkaline fasting every now and then, because these dishes
- have a high proportion of plant-based food,
- consist mainly of fresh food,
- are usually prepared gently.
So many foods belong to the basic diet, which are sometimes considered to be particularly healthy due to their content of vegetable proteins, vitamins, minerals, secondary plant substances and fiber:
- Fruits such as berries, citrus fruits, apples, pears and many more
- Vegetables such as potatoes, asparagus, kohlrabi, kale, zucchini, chickpeas and many more
- Nuts, for example almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts
- high quality vegetable oils
- herbal tea
Among the acid-forming foods include approximately:
- phosphate-containing foods
- milk and milkproducts
- Cereals and cereal products
It is therefore worthwhile to prepare dishes from alkaline foods more often – not for therapeutic purposes, but simply because they are not only delicious, but also consist of many healthy foods.
Delicious recipes from alkaline fasting – quickly cooked yourself
Green breakfast smoothie (for 2 people)
- 250 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ripe banana, frozen
- 1/2 mango, cut and frozen
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Put the spinach, banana, mango, pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds in a blender – or Thermomix.
- Add the almond milk and blend until smooth.
Potato cakes filled with lentils (for 4 people)
For the cakes:
- 10 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of potato starch, plus a little more to sprinkle
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 115 g shiitake mushrooms
- 150 g of dried green lentils
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut oil for frying
- In a large saucepan, bring the potatoes, bay leaf, a little salt and 7 cups of water to a boil. Let simmer until the potatoes are done. Wash the potatoes with cold water, then peel, mash and mix with the starch. The mass should now shape like a dough. If it’s too sticky, add a little more starch.
- To prepare the filling, heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes while stirring. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Finally add the lentils, salt and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To shape the cakes, flatten about 3 tablespoons of the potato dough in the palm of your hand. Place a spoonful of the filling on the dough, fold it up and shape into a disc. Heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the potato fritters on both sides for about 4 minutes until they develop a golden brown crust.
Corn and bean salad with cherry tomatoes (as a main meal for 4 people or as a side dish for more)
- 3 fresh corn on the cob
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onions
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander
- 400 g beans – e.g. kidney or pinto beans
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup of virgin olive oil
- a pinch of sea salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the corn on the cob in it for 3 to 5 minutes. Then put in cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Scrape off the kernels of the cold corn on the cob and place in a medium-sized bowl. Break open pieces that are too long.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, onion, coriander and beans. Mix together lemon juice, oil and salt and pour over the salad. Let stand for 10 minutes and then enjoy!
Vegetable skewers with garlic and basil dip
For the skewers (12 pieces):
- 1 sweet onion, quartered; separate the layers from each other
- 2 red peppers, cut into 2.5 cm squares (12 pieces in total)
- 3 thin zucchini, cut into 1 cm slices (24 pieces in total)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup of virgin olive oil
- 12 skewers, about 6 inches long
For the dip:
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
- 16 basil leaves with stem
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Mix the garlic with the oil and set aside. Skewer the vegetable pieces so that the cherry tomatoes are not on the outside (otherwise they could slide down later).
- Place the skewers on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Grease well with garlic oil and generously sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes. Then arrange on a serving platter.
- While the skewers are in the oven, put all the ingredients for the dip in a mixer – or Thermomix – and mix until you get a creamy mixture. Arrange in a bowl.
Spinach with chickpeas and lemon (as a main meal for 2 people or as a side dish for 4)
- 2 medium sized bowls of fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 10 plum tomatoes
- The zest and juice of a large lemon
- 1 TL Chiliflocken
- 400 g can of pickled chickpeas
- Put the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, tomatoes, lemon zest and chilli flakes and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Wash the chickpeas, dry them and add them to the pan. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add the spinach and continue cooking. When the spinach goes limp, add lemon juice and sea salt and cook for another 2 minutes.
Avocado and cucumber sushi (for one person)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup of kale leaves, stripped of the ribs, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- some paprika for garnish
- Cut the cucumber lengthways into strips about 2 mm thick. Remove the outermost green stripes as well as the innermost stripes that contain seeds and instead choose four stripes without seeds for further processing.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl and stir in the kale, lemon juice, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Put 1/4 of the mixture on each cucumber strip with a spoon and roll up carefully. If necessary, pin in place with a toothpick.
- Place the rolls upright on a plate and sprinkle with paprika powder.
Delicious recipes from alkaline fasting
The body of a healthy person does not need any help with deacidification : it can do it itself, including through breathing and kidney function. In addition, a connection between acidification and the development of diseases has not been scientifically proven, which is why alkaline fasting is criticized by many experts .
So you shouldn’t expect a therapeutic effect from this fasting method. Due to the threat of nutrient deficiency, the DGE even explicitly advises against alkaline fasting over a longer period of time. Nonetheless, alkaline foods are often allowed on the table.
After all, these include fruits and vegetables , which are good for our body for a variety of reasons: They contain healthy proteins, vitamins, minerals, secondary plant substances and fiber that our good intestinal bacteria particularly like. Try one of our quick, easy and delicious recipes more often !