Diarrhea from mushrooms: causes and what to look for

Mushrooms are very healthy, but can cause gastrointestinal complaints such as diarrhea in some people. Often this is due to harmless causes, but dangerous reasons are also conceivable.

In this article you will learn

  • what it could be if you get diarrhea from mushrooms,
  • how to recognize real and fake mushroom poisoning,
  • how to react correctly to mushroom poisoning and
  • What to look for to avoid mushroom diarrhea.

Diarrhea after mushrooms: what can be the cause?

A tasty mushroom dish is not always good for the gastrointestinal tract. Because although edible mushrooms such as meadow mushrooms are very healthy, they can cause complaints such as abdominal pain , flatulence or diarrhea . This can be due to a variety of causes:

  • Intolerance: If you get diarrhea, cramps, stomach ache or gas after eating mushrooms or other edible mushrooms, this could be due to an intolerance of the disaccharide trehalose it contains. An intolerance of mushroom proteins is also possible.
  • Allergy: In contrast to intolerance or intolerance , an allergy occurs when the body incorrectly identifies certain proteins in mushrooms as harmful and allows the immune system to fight them. Food allergies are often expressed as itching and swelling in the mouth, but they can also cause symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea , allergic rhinitis, rash or even allergic shock.
  • Indigestible chitin: Not only mushrooms, but mushrooms in general are rather difficult to digest foods due to their chitin content.
  • Mushroom poisoning: If you accidentally eat poison mushrooms, this can manifest itself through a variety of symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, or cramps.
  • False mushroom poisoning: Even rotten edible mushrooms develop dangerous toxins that can lead to serious complaints.

How do you recognize mushroom poisoning?

Mushroom poisoning can manifest itself through an incredible variety of symptoms, depending on the type of mushroom poison and the amount eaten. The following symptoms can occur:

Read More  Coconut milk intolerance: symptoms and what you can do

Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, vomiting diarrhea, stomach pain, abdominal pain, dry mouth, kidney pain, reddened skin, circulatory problems, jaundice, blood in the urine, tremors, numbness, sweating, increased tearing and salivation, shortness of breath, visual disturbances, dizziness, headache, muscle twitching, drowsiness , Restlessness, racing heart, hallucinations, seizures, loss of consciousness.

Often times, the symptoms develop within four hours of consumption. If the symptoms appear later, this is an indication of severe poisoning, which may damage the organs and even be life-threatening .

It is difficult for laypeople to differentiate mushroom poisoning from other causes due to the sometimes very similar symptoms. Since both real and fake mushroom poisoning can lead to serious organ damage and can even be life-threatening, you should call an emergency doctor (112) immediately and contact the poison control center in your state if you suspect it .

What to do with mushroom poisoning: How to react correctly

In order to avoid serious consequences of real as well as fake mushroom poisoning, you should first dial the emergency number (112) and the poison emergency number as described above.

If you like to collect mushrooms yourself, you have to be careful not to catch any poisonous carbolic mushrooms.

It is especially important that doctors or consulted mushroom experts in the hospital can identify the toadstool eaten. When the rescue service arrives, give them the remains of the mushrooms, the remains of the meal and, if necessary, a sample of the vomit .

In the case of severe poisoning, first aid measures may be necessary until the rescue service arrives:

  • Place the patient in a stable lateral position and cover them.
  • Provide help with vomiting, but never willfully induce vomiting .
  • Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation if breathing has stopped and is unconscious (alternately 30 chest compressions and 2 breaths until breathing starts or the emergency services arrive).

Caution! Under no circumstances should home remedies or medication be tried, as these can intensify or hide the poisoning.

How can you avoid mushroom poisoning?

Mostly, ignorance, mix-up or carelessness when collecting mushrooms are to blame for mushroom poisoning. Therefore, you should take a few precautions if you want to collect mushrooms yourself:

  • Only collect mushrooms that you can clearly identify.
  • Always have a mushroom expert inspect mushrooms that you collect for the first time .
  • Do not eat mushrooms that you have collected yourself until you have identified them several times.
  • Even with wild mushrooms on the market or in a restaurant, you should ask whether they have been checked by certified mushroom experts.
Read More  Detoxing the Body: What Does Detox Really Do?

These poison mushrooms look particularly similar to meadow mushrooms:

  • Karbol-Champignon (giftig)
  • Cone cap mushroom (deadly poisonous)
  • Spring death cap mushroom (deadly poisonous)

Cultivated mushrooms, on the other hand, pose almost no danger in terms of real mushroom poisoning. However, it can lead to fake mushroom poisoning . In the next section, you’ll find shopping, storage, and preparation tips to help you avoid this.

Eating mushrooms: this is how you avoid diarrhea and other ailments

Even if mushrooms are generally not an easily digestible food, you should not go without them across the board. After all, mushrooms are very healthy: they are practically free from fat and very low in calories. They also contain vitamin D – a deficient vitamin, especially in the darker months of the year -, protein and fiber, which support your intestinal health .

In order not to overwhelm your gastrointestinal tract , you should chew mushrooms well and not overeat . Meadow mushrooms are one of the few edible mushrooms that can also be eaten raw. However, cooked and fried mushrooms are more tolerable.

When coprinopsis atramentaria can find in nature the fungus knowledgeable collector, you should drink the way to the mushroom dish alcohol. The fungus contains coprin, which hinders the alcohol-degrading enzymes. In severe cases, this can even lead to alcohol poisoning . With mushrooms, however, this risk does not exist.

Tips on buying, storing and preparing mushrooms

Fresh mushrooms are delicate and spoil quickly . The toxins, i.e. toxins that are formed by the bacterial infestation, can lead to a fake, yet dangerous, fungal poisoning. Therefore, you should pay attention to the following:

  • When buying mushrooms, they should not have any stains, dark discoloration or pressure points .
  • It is best to use mushrooms from the region , as their transport route is shorter.
  • If you are collecting mushrooms yourself, use a well-ventilated basket, not a plastic bag .
  • Ideally, mushrooms are bought in bulk . If they are in plastic packaging, no condensation should have formed.
  • At home, you can quickly remove the wrapped mushrooms from the foil and store them in a paper bag in the refrigerator (no more than three to four days).
  • Be careful not to crush the mushrooms .
  • Mushrooms should smell mushroom and earthy , but never smell unpleasant.
  • The stem ends should be light colored .
  • Eat mushrooms as quickly as possible .
  • Mushrooms should not be washed before preparation, but should be brushed gently , for example with a mushroom brush.
  • hollow stem indicates that an older mushroom was harvested. However, this is not a health hazard.
  • As soon as mushrooms secrete juice or develop greasy spots , they belong in the trash!
Read More  Grape diarrhea: these may be the causes
Mushrooms should be cleaned with a mushroom brush before preparation.

Incidentally, mushroom dishes can be reheated without hesitation. The leftovers should not be kept warm for unnecessarily long after the first preparation, but should be stored quickly and well packed in the refrigerator .

Diarrhea from mushrooms: causes and what to look for

Mushrooms are generally rather difficult to digest . You may therefore develop discomfort after overeating, especially raw mushrooms. Diarrhea from mushrooms can also be due to intolerance, allergies or mushroom poisoning . The latter manifests itself through a variety of possible symptoms – for example nausea, vomiting or stomach pain – and is a case for the emergency doctor. However, real mushroom poisoning can be almost completely avoided by buying cultivated mushrooms.

However, incorrect storage and preparation can cause mushrooms to form toxins that lead to spurious mushroom poisoning. Therefore, make sure to only eat fresh mushrooms that have no brown or even greasy spots.

Do you often suffer from diarrhea and want to find out other possible causes? Feel free to get the most important information about diarrhea or read our articles on diarrhea after meals or morning diarrhea .

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.