In this article, you will learn about possible problems with the male genitalia (penis), how to recognize them, and which doctor should deal with problems with the male genitalia.
Why is penile health so important?
All men should consider penile health . For a man to have a healthy sex life, he must have a healthy penis. You also need a healthy penis to urinate and maintain the correct fluid balance in your body. A healthy penis is also important for having sexual intercourse and getting a woman pregnant.
Any problem with the penis may not always be directly related to the penis. Medical conditions elsewhere in the body, such as diabetes , high blood pressure , heart disease, can also cause penile problems. Apart from these, for example, a problem called impotence (erectile dysfunction) among the people can also be caused by poor blood flow to the penis and make sexual life difficult.
What are the problems that can affect the penis?
There are many conditions that can affect the penis and some of them are:
- Erectile dysfunction : Men with erectile dysfunction (ie impotence) cannot hold their penis upright (hard) enough to have sexual intercourse. Erectile dysfunction has many causes, and most of them are treatable.
- Priapism: This is when a man’s penis stays erect for more than four hours. If this happens, you need to see a doctor immediately. If priapism is not treated quickly, long-term erectile dysfunction can occur and permanent damage to the penis can occur.
- Phimosis: This is when the extra skin (foreskin) covering the head of the penis is too tight. In this case, the penis may not be able to come out even during an erection. This problem does not occur in circumcised men. Surgery can be used to treat phimosis.
- Paraphimosis: In this case, when the penis comes out of the foreskin, it cannot go back in because it gets stuck. It is important to go to the doctor when such a problem occurs, because blood flow to the penis can be cut off.
- Peyronie’s disease: In this condition, hard lumps of scar tissue form on the inner lining of the penis. This causes the penis to bend to one side when erect. Doctors are not sure what causes this disease. It usually gets better on its own without treatment, but severe cases may require surgery.
- Skin problems: Skin problems can also affect the penis and cause problems with the penis. Causes of skin problems that affect the penis include infection, allergies and poor cleaning habits. Treatment is based on the cause. To prevent this, you should take care of your penis cleaning.
- Penile fracture: The penis actually has no bone. What we call a penile fracture is a part of the lining of the torn penis. When this happens, you may hear a popping sound. Then you will witness that your penis turns black and blue. Penile fracture is a medical emergency.
Sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia , gonorrhea , and syphilis can also cause problems with the penis.
How do you know if there is a problem with the penis?
Symptoms that indicate a problem with the penis include:
- Black and blue marks on your penis
- Problems keeping your penis erect
- Yellow or green discharge from the tip of your penis
- burning sensation while urinating
- Bleeding when going to the toilet or having an orgasm
- painful, itchy rash on your penis
- Blisters, warts, or small red bumps on your penis
- Painful or painless sore on the head of your penis
- Changes in the way you orgasm
- Pain when your penis is erect
- swelling of the tip of the penis
- pain during sexual intercourse
- a twist in your penis
It is healthy and beneficial to examine your penis regularly to be aware of any new symptoms or conditions that may occur.
When should you see a doctor?
If you notice any of the problems listed above, you should see your doctor. Doctor control is also important if there is a change in the appearance, feel or function of the penis. Because, treatment of many penile problems will be more successful if started early.
Which doctor looks at the male genitalia?
If you have a problem or doubt about the male genitalia, namely the penis, the doctor you should go to is a urologist. The urologist will listen to your complaints, examine you, do some tests if necessary, and offer you an appropriate solution or medical treatment for your problem.