Weight gain is defined as an increase in body weight and contributes to an increase in muscle mass, fat deposits, or accumulation of excess body fluids. In this day and age when everyone is joining this weight loss caravan, people who want to gain weight probably won’t stand out. However, there are many people who complain about being too thin, and these people wonder how to gain weight and which doctor to go to to gain weight. In this article, you will learn tips for gaining weight and which doctor you should go to to gain weight .
Reasons for being underweight
- Overactive thyroid gland: Hyperthyroidism caused by an overactive thyroid speeds up metabolism and leads to severely unhealthy weight loss.
- Eating disorder: Serious mental eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa can cause extreme weight loss.
- Infections: Malaria and parasitic infections, diarrhea, tuberculosis, etc. infections can cause unhealthy weight loss.
- Diabetes: Uncontrolled diabetes is a possible cause of weight loss.
- Cancer: Cancer patients tend to weaken and lose more and more weight.
- Genetics: Sometimes, it’s just inherited traits that make a person weak.
- Stress: Being under constant stress can weaken a person and excessive stress can cause various health problems.
Things to do to gain weight
It is very important for thin people to know how to gain weight . However, the first thing that a person who wants to gain weight should keep in mind is that he should gain weight in a healthy way . Below you will find tips to help you gain weight quickly and healthily:
- Consume more calories than your body can burn: There’s no rocket science behind this tip, it’s simple mathematical logic. If a system has a larger inlet compared to an outlet, the system is very likely to resort to material accumulation.
- Consuming protein-rich things: Protein helps build lean muscle mass. Therefore, taking more protein-rich foods such as soybeans, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts helps to gain weight.
- Increased carbohydrates and high-fat foods: Consuming high-carb and high-fat foods such as bananas, oats, quinoa, blueberries, sweet potatoes, cheese, dark chocolate is important for gaining weight.
- Weight lifting and exercise : For example, if a person does weightlifting regularly, the excess calories consumed are concentrated on the muscle rather than the abdomen or other parts, which contributes to gaining weight in an aesthetic way.
- Consumption of energy-rich foods: Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, peanuts, dried fruits such as raisins or prunes, high-fat dairy products such as chocolate, condensed milk provide energy and help to gain weight.
- Drinking milk: Opt for whole milk to gain weight and drink at least one glass a day. Milk contributes to weight gain by providing many nutrients your body needs.
- Protein and weight gain supplements : Such supplements are available in powder form that can be prepared and consumed as a shake with milk. You should consult your doctor before using them.
- Sleep: The secret to being healthy and at a suitable weight is not only healthy and delicious food, but also an average of eight hours of sleep a day.
- Additional meals: You can contribute to your weight gain journey by preparing additional meals such as morning snacks or evening snacks.
- Correct water drinking habit: It is necessary to avoid drinking water before eating. This just fills the stomach and leaves no room for food. Make it a habit to drink water regularly, but after meals.
The point to remember here is that weight gain should only be done in a healthy and safe way, and addictive habits such as eating junk food should be avoided.
Which doctor should I go to for weight gain?
The first doctor you should go to to gain weight should be your family doctor. Your family doctor will listen to you carefully and will examine you if necessary. If he or she decides that a medical condition is not the cause of your weakness, they will refer you to a nutritionist or dietitian. If the cause of your weakness is a medical condition, he or she will refer you to a doctor who deals with the medical condition he suspects.